Dec 19, 2010

Family trip, a brief history of my crocheting, and first post!

I told my mom that I would come work on my grandmother's old house this weekend if she would help me with a set of headphone sleeves I'm making for a friend. It's my first crochet project, if you don't count the 100-foot-long chain I made before my chain stitch was even. The chain was going to be a scarf, but it was made with some terrible, scratchy acrylic from the 80s that I bought at Goodwill for practice, so despite being a gorgeous dark blue, I don't know what to do with it aside from wrap it around furniture.

I always thought crochet was magic, somehow. I think my mom must've crocheted around me as a baby, so I developed a little fetish for the shiny aluminum hooks. We have a ton of beautiful crochet Christmas ornaments that she made with glittery thread. Now that I've learned a few stitches (chain, slip and single crochet in rows and in the round), I'm still thinking that the fancier projects with those lacy holes and weird places to insert the hook are, indeed, magic. But crochet (at least sometimes) involves less counting than cross stitch, and definitely has less stopping to separate and smooth new threads, so I can do it more easily while watching TV or something.

At any rate, my mom confirmed my suspicions that it would be easier to do the headphone sleeves with sport weight rather than worsted weight yarn, and to crochet in spirals instead of in rows. And she gave me some sport weight yarn from her stash that works well with the headphone color.

I worked on it in the car on the way here, and some during the day, but slowly. I think I'm crocheting too tightly which is why I'm having so much trouble getting the hook in. It's prettier and neater when it's tight, though... *sigh* So now I've got a good six inches going... Only 4.5 more feet to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment